Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Iron Horse Teux

Many moons ago, amidst the foothills of PA (foothills, my sore-tush), I was the proud owner of a JCPenney road bicycle courtesy of a goodwill near Kutztown, PA. It only cost $10.00, I didn't even get a receipt. I think the gw folks were surprised anyone would want it. Always providing inanimate objects with nomenclature, the JCP road cycle earned the name The Iron  Horse. In Chinua Achebe's novel, Things Fall Apart, the Igbo had never seen a bicycle. When a missionary rode up on one, they called it "the iron horse."Good things were not in the future for this missionary, good things were not in the future for this owner of the Iron Horse.

I went through many trials and tribulations to own this bike. From arranging rides from a friend with a large car trunk to transport the bicycle back to campus (Thank you, Plumbster), to paying  the local bike shop for multiple inspections and tune-ups, a bike lock, tire pump, and knapsack (every serious rural cyclist wears a knapsack, just ask the Amish), this bike was costing quite a bit more than the initial 10 the goodwill asked for. Let's not forgot the cost to my emotions when I had to sheepishly beg public safety to cut my bike lock because I lost the key. They said no, I needed to prove ownership in order for PS to snip the lock, so I had to go back to the thrift store and jog the geriatric cashier's memory to the time two weeks prior when I first bought my bike. She wrote me a receipt on an index card. Public safety didn't love this proof of purchase; but, it was better than nothing. Hence the bike was mine, again.

Perhaps all the challenges of upkeep that came along with this bicycle were harbingers for what this thing really was underneath its silver, JCPenney decals: a lemon. The Iron Horse was in bad shape. The tires would go flat five minutes into my ride and the brakes were questionable. The GOAT begged me to leave the bike at KU when he moved me out senior year. We'd been through too much, the Iron Horse and I, I wouldn't just leave her for any dumpster diver to loot and pillage for parts.

The Iron Horse came back to NJ. She resides in my parents' garage collecting dust. I think her only purposeful future lies in being salvaged for parts. I would at least like to donate her to an organization that collects for charity. 

I haven't given up on keeping a bicycle in my life. If I do make it out of the 'boro in one piece, Metuchen is very bicycle friendly.  Karen&Klark have already offered  me a space in their apartment bldg basement to store one. Three iron horses in one basement, it will be like a stable!

Readers, there is a slim possibility of  an Iron Horse Teux in my immediate future. If I blog about this, will I jinx myself? I'll take my chances.

Last Friday at the Boutique, underneath the luggage, I spied an old Peugeot for 29 dollars. I thought this was a little much because of the price I paid for Iron Horse One so I decided not to check it out. I discussed the bike with Klark and when I told him it was a Peugeot, he lowered his spectacles to the bridge of his nose and said, "Peugeot? Good man! Get it!" Okay,  he wasn't that dramatic, but he thought it was a good deal. Klark is my go-to for all things bicycle and musical instrument related, so if he's in, so am I, good man!

Long story short, I'm going to check out the Peugeot tomorrow before tutoring and volleyball armed with my new-found knowledge of the ABC Quick Check from the Etsy Blog's How-Tuesday: Tune Up Your Bicycle for Spring. Be forewarned, if you view this video, you will develop a crush on Jacob; however, by the end of the clip, it will fade. He is corny. 
Is your bicycle read for spring?
-L

P.S.
I got a new dress from Target. Isn't it wonderful?


No comments:

Post a Comment