Thursday, December 15, 2011

Eat this, not that.



Stop hitting the side of your computer monitor.* There's nothing wrong with the contrast or brightness. These cookies are actually green and by no error on my part. I came across the recipe for these cranberry pistachio pudding cookies on one of my favorite recipe blogs, Siriously Delicious. Previous to this discovery, I didn't know pistachio instant pudding existed. Had I known about it, it would have been one of those foods I held my purse extra tight around in the grocery store.

Sketchy and oddly colored as it looks, pistachio pudding does a cookie good. In the words of my favorite food blogger, Lady J of Delirious Kitchen, the cookies are amazeballs. This is an awesomely easy recipe to make, too. Get the pistachio pudding mix at Target for 0.87 cents, a bag of dried cranberries from Trader Joe's or start pilfering Craisins from the salad bar for a few days, and I'll bet you already have most of the other ingredients. Just watch your wallet around that pistachio pudding.

On a related note, I have terrible luck when it comes to bringing baked goods to parties. For the last two years in a row, it's been like pulling teeth to get anyone to eat what I bring. The first year I went to my department holiday party, I brought a cinnamon apple bundt cake. I even glazed that sucker. It was pristine looking. Throughout the party, I casually walked by the dessert table to check on how my cake was doing. No. One. Touched. It. Why? I have no idea. Tricia Gail said people were too afraid to cut a slice because the wreath of cake was so pretty. Man up, colleagues.

Last year, I brought cupcakes to the department party. I blame my recent interaction with the sidewalk on not being able to remember what kind they were. I just know it took an embarrassing amount of time for these treats to be consumed, too. My supervisor's son was seen sneaking a few off into his room. Apparently, that's the kind of dessert I make, the one that deserves to be hidden away and eaten in private.

Rosie B's Halloween party gave me hope. I made a variation of Lady J's caramel apple cider cookies for this occasion and they were a hit. The first time I took my "Is-anyone-eating-what-I-made?" walk, a considerable amount of these gems were gone. Sure, they were pretty-pretty good; however, I think the success rate might have had something to do with my being dressed as a maid. No one likes to insult the help.

This year, I'm going to do things differently. The host of this year's department party, Shauna B, isn't aware of it yet, but I am going to walk my cookies on a tray around her home like someone who works for a catering company until said confections are completely devoured. Sure, I may get some used napkins to throw away, or requests to refill a beverage, but I'll be happy in my heart of sketchy-cranberry-pistachio-pudding-cookie-loving hearts that this dessert was enjoyed. If this strategy doesn't work, I will summon my fifth grade basketball skills and set a pic on the guests who attempt to eat any other dessert. Don't make me roll. I'll do it.


*Yes, readers, I'm aware I'm a member of a dying breed who still works at a desktop computer. Just call me Getwiththetimes-o-saurus.

Have a lovely, sketchy-ingredient-filled weekend,
-L

P.S.
This has been a week of wonderful running. Steph therabbit B and I will attempt to run another Super 8 tomorrow afternoon, before the party. Thank you to Mama Stud, Dr. Martinez, Steph B, and Shauna B for being truly awesome, positive, and wonderful workout friends, all week. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment