Thursday, March 17, 2011

Meet Amelia

Happy Irish Day! Yesterday, as he gave me a full weather report, degrees and all, for the weekend, my second favorite hall monitor at school asked me, "Teacher, is tommorow Irish Day?" To which I replied "You mean, St. Patrick's Day?" "Oh yes! St. Patrick's Day! Thank you, teacher! Irish Day comes later." Who knew we celebrated the Irish so frequently? And when is Polish Day?

Most of the time, I am responsible for the ridiculous, yet somehow poignant, names I give for the inanimate objects in my life. A prime example is Kitchen Swan. This porcelain figurine really didn't need a name, but life in the kitchen is much more fun because she has one. Another example would be Howard, the mallard duck pencil sharpener. (Pictures forthcoming, he gets lost quite a bit.) My students even ask for him by name. The more polite say, "Miss M, can I use Howard?" The less than mannerly, or the majority of my darlings say, "Where's Howard? I need him." 

During my perusal of the boutique, I people-watched an eccentric man discuss the topic of luggage to a perfect stranger who seemed none too interested in sharing any of her personal space with him. The conversation went a little something like this (I shall give these folks "creative user names" like I make my students do when they write character tweets):

2Close4Comfort: Take a look at this suitcase I found! It's a little out of my price range, because I'm a college student, but isn't it wonderful? By the way I play the flute.
StayOutofMyOxygen: Do I know you?

2Close4Comfort: College education for a flautist can be really pricey, but I love a great suitcase so I don't really mind spending the thirteen dollars...or do I? What do you think, perfect stranger I met two seconds ago who is quickly becoming my soul-mate? Should I get this?

Stay OutofMyOxygen: Only if you are going to use it to pack your belongings and travel via train, plane, automobile, or foot farthest away from me as possible.


The flautist's luggage was quite lovely. If it wasn't completely inappropriate, I would've liked to take a picture of him with it because his lime green polo matched the piece, but I think this request might have creeped him out. On second thought, I think he would've loved it and asked me to co-sign on a mortgage with him. Anyway, the stranger with no social skills' suitcase got me thinking, maybe I should check out the boutique luggage. 

So I did, meet Amelia. 
I didn't even need to name her! Though, it slightly worried me that this piece of luggage is named after a missing pilot.

She looks like a normal suitcase, ready for travel. However, Amelia is staying right here in the 'boro because she is filled with...

Craft supplies! 

Now all my creaftion disorder can be tucked away in a lovely piece of luggage and all will be none the wiser! This was not my original idea, but I'm not giving the flautist the credit either. I'm blanking on the name of the delightful Etsy shop that sells vintage suitcases as means of storage. These restyled suitcases aren't meant for the air, track, or road either. The seller takes a previously owned suitcase and repaints and modge-podges vintage wallpaper and the like on the exterior. Very awesome. I'll get back to you on the name of that one.


A few other items that made their ways home to the boro' on Thrifty Thursday:

Summer Shoes! 3$..H&M's were $12.
Vintage Wrapping Paper
Poppy Tart Pan & Porcelain Pin
 



Bird Bookends
P.S.
Hey Flautist, my suitcase was only $8.00.
-L

Whoa! P.P.S!
I can't believe I almost forgot! Tricia Gail took 3rd Place in the Irish Soda Bread contest at school! Congrats TG! Look at that presentation:


Maybe she'll post her recipe and a first hand account of the exuberance she felt when she found out she was a winner on And Dog Makes 3. I don't think she'll share her plaque with us, though.
 Looking at this picture, I don't know what makes my mouth water more, the soda bread or the Depression era Green Glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment