Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Plainsboro Picker

As some of you may know, it is my sincerest dream to become an American Picker. Were this dream to come true, I would travel the dirt roads of our great nation and peruse the forgotten basements, garages, attics, crawl spaces and the like of the elderly for items they deem "junk" and I call treasure. All the 70s Pyrex and crewel embroidery wall hangings would be mine for mere pocket change due to my excellent bargaining skills. Of course, any HKO's I found would go to Steph B.

As I pulled into my development on the way home from school, today, I got the first taste of my Plainsboro Picker dream coming true. 
Behold, curbside treasure:

 

 It's hard to get an authentic idea of the gray-blue color this little cabinet is.  I hate flash photography and it was evening when I took these, hence beige overtones of photographs. Better pictures are forthcoming, I promise.

This little blue beauty was nestled behind a dumpster with some tables and chairs. (Note, I said behind, not in, I'd like to think I'm above literal dumpster diving.) The tables and chairs were junky, but this cabinet was in pretty good shape. At one time, the piece had two sliding doors, but one didn't survive the trip home. I kind of like it with just one. You know you truly love a piece when you make excuses for its imperfections. The brass-capped peg legs alone are what gained this previously owned treasure access into my place. Now all I have to do is decide whether to use it as a nightstand or a bar. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 


Your Plainsboro Picker,
-L

P.S. I graded some essays tonight and my favorite one by far was, of course, written by my favorite student. The young man who said I looked like a female Ellen DeGeneres wrote the following in his conclusion (and I type this exactly as it appeared in his essay):

The people in the court of Salem should be removed out  the court because it isn't right for someone to lose their life based on what a teenage girl says. (Not bad right? We'll ignore the out the court part)
Everyone in Salem knows the truth; Elizabeth has never seen nor spoke to the devil she's a good woman. (Look! He even uses a semi colon!)

I believe Abigail and the girl were accusing people just to get attention but I guess people in Salem were too weak to see the truth. Every one who were hang were innocent when is this going to stop                 

My favorite part is: when is this going to stop 
No punctuation mark, just a random question mark-less question to wrap things up.  why is he my favorite kid ever









1 comment:

  1. you are so lucky to have found that! it is perfect!

    i am going to start dumpster 'diving'...

    ps. great blog! {newest follower!}

    ReplyDelete