Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thursdate No. 1: Take a Walk, Green Tea Creme Brulee

Today marks the beginning of a new tradition: Thursdates with Keally



Keally and I have been friends since elementary school, though some of our comrades would challenge this. Our friendship was cemented after becoming a journalistic duo for our high school paper, The Viking Vibe. The paper has really never been the same since we left. I've even heard that our article, "A Day in the Life of  a Freshman" was the origin of the No More than Five Question Marks per Article rule. (Beware fellow grammarians, this is not for the faint of heart.)
Keally got married over the summer to her very awesome husband, the king of party playlists, Dan. Most new wives don't spend as much time with their pre-nuptial friends as they used to. Lucky for me, this isn't the case with the new Mrs. P. We still shop, sweat, and eat together on a regular basis. Isn't that what true friendships are made of? Price-tags, perspiration, and calories?
In the true fashion of our friendship, our first Thursdate included a step class at WOW and thai dinner at Ploy Siam. Step was intense for a few reasons:
1) I'm very uncoordinated. The straddle step was challenging to say the least. My favorite was the Take a Walk. If you are unfamiliar with this move, it is literally just that, you walk around your step.
2) This step class was not full of beginners or even novices. This was a room full of step-class-aficionados. I think a few of these women have traded in their beds or marriages for steps. One step-enthusiast surprised me with her  shrieks of glee and applause which she executed at random during the class. One day, that will be me. I'm sure of it.

Dinner was delicious. Our fare included:
Fresh rolls (or as our friend Jenny might say, Fresh As Death Rolls. This renaming doesn't fairly attest to their deliciousness.)
Thai Iced Tea (I have a feeling I will be posting about my adventures in making my own version of this.)
Chicken Pad Thai (Amazing. 'Nuff said.)

Then it was time for dessert. Deciding to get dessert was tough. The last time Keally and I went out to eat in the 'Ville, I discovered the most delicious ice cream of all time: Maggie Moo's Red Velvet. However, to be fair, we had to give Ploy Siam's dessert a chance. Unable to choose just one, we ordered Green Tea Creme Brulee and Thai Pumpkin Custard. The Green Tea Creme Brulee was very delicious, in spite of the fact that it looked like something Gerber sells. The Pumpkin Custard...not our favorite. Next time, two orders of Green Tea Creme Brulee, for sure.

I'm already looking forward to our next Thursdate. They are the best. Below, enjoy some pictures I took of my new Wellies and pencils that are too cute to have come from Target's dollar section.

L






1 comment:

  1. hahaha you will be a an official stepper in no time, I'm sure of it. Nothing else will matter to you. you forgot to mention the lone step guy, as eager enthusiastic and coordinated as any woman in the class! and yum discolored yet delcious brulee and extra eggy custard I love thursdates!!

    ReplyDelete