Sunday, February 27, 2011

Boutique Treasures and The Tomato Obsession Continues

As you know, I am an avid thrift store shopper. Much of my home decor comes from second hand stores and I'm not embarassed to admit this. There are some things where I'll draw the line; however, I really have no problems with it. My lovable Betty, on the other hand, she washes her hands if I mention I got something at Red White Blue during a phone conversation. "Oh Lauren, you know I don't like when you buy things from there." She's too funny. I'm thinking of really getting her by starting our next phone chat with, "I got the best bra at Red White and Blue..." (For those of you that need clarification, ew, that is gross and I would never do that. Ew ew ew.)

I wanted to post some pictures of recent thrift store treasures that have stolen my heart. Enjoy:

No, Red White and Blue hasn't added a slightly used baked goods section. I made this coffee cake from the March issue of Martha Stewart Living. That dashing brown plate underneath Martha's mag is from RW&B. By the way, when Martha says to bake your cake in a tube pan with a removal botton, she does not mean a Bundt pan. It will still work, but you can't dump the cake out of the Bundt pan, especially if you put all the struesel topping on what was supposed to be the botton of said cake. 
 Vintage Pyrex from Normie's house. Kneep deep to a tall indian in love with vintage pyrex. It would be silly to eat cereal out of this. I contemplated it, but I decided a bowl this size would encourage me to eat a sasquatch serving size of cereal. Whilst I would enjoy this immensely because I love cereal, I would not enjoy shopping for pants in the sasquatch store. The fitting rooms are probabaly disgusting.

More vintage Pyrex treasures. You can't see in the photo, but each of the white pieces are sectioned in two in the middle. I have taken to eating snacks of apples and cheese off of these Pyrex just because I want to use them as much as possible.


 I don't have a real spice rack, so I hung up a picture of one. This is one of my favorite "boutique" treasures. The design is screenprinted on canvas. Each herb and spice jar has an explanation of the spice or herb's origin and what to use it in. Cute and kind of useful!

This treasure is not from RW&B, it's not even from New Jersey. This well traveled treasure is from my new favorite store, Corning Stitch Works in Corning, NY. Note the real Bermuda customs sticker on the side.  I'm using this minute Samsonite case to house my new camera. The case even locks!













 
 This crewel embroidery treasure almost didn't make it home. I was so close to walking out of the boutique without it because the price was a little more than I would have liked to pay. As I made my way to the register, I saw a few people go over to the framed art section and I felt a french knot forming in my stomach thinking about someone else having my picture. (Puns!) I knew the art had to come back to the 'boro. It is lovely and its image has made it onto the list of future tattoo design ideas. Love love love this, can't say it enough.

The Tomato Obsession Continues..
Lately, I have been obsessed with any kind of tomato mozarella combination. It's all Tricia Gail's fault. She made a phenomenal chicken bruschetta mozarella spinach salad for lunchbunch a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to get over it. I'm pretty sure I've made the tomato mozarella duo for myself or ordered some form of it out at least every week since I had the salad. I've put it on bagels, ordered it as an appetizer, and scolded myself for not answering the SBHS new-faculty question, What can always be found in your fridge? with"Tomatoes and mozarella!" Anyway, the obsession continues. For lunch today, I made a tomato, mozzarella, and garlic-basil polenta dish. So delicious and you can eat so much of it for under 300 calories! One whole quarter of the polenta tube is only 100 calories. Tomatoes don't count and if you close your eyes while you eat the part-skim mozzarella, it's like it never happened. I don't like to talk calories here, but needless to say, it was super easy to make, I didn't feel terrible about eating it, and I will be making it for lunch bunch this week.

Hope your weekends were as lovely as mine,
-L

P.S.
Tricia Gail, you've been called out blog style. I want a post. Also, your dog left her biscuit on my welcome mat. Next time, I'll be prepared to please her finicky palette with cheezits. Maya loves cheezits.






No comments:

Post a Comment